Translate

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Successful Search

A couple weeks ago, I told you about a book I was searching for. It was full of happy childhood memories for me. I had searched for it for years and years. This lovely story was read to me by my fourth grade teacher. She read it to the class every afternoon and we would race back into her classroom after lunch and all sit quietly, in rapt attention, to hear the next chapter of UNCLE FRANK'S MARY.

My searches always ended in dead ends until a Christmas-time outing a few weeks ago with my friend. Our girlz day out ended with a visit to an antique mall where I went into search mode again. My clever friend said to me "have you ever checked Amazon?".

Well, you know, with all that searching, I had never looked on Amazon. It never occurred to me to look there. In my mind, Amazon was for new books. As soon as I got home, I did search Amazon...............and they had it but, alas, the price was excessive.

I looked for it at other venues and finally entered the word "borrow" into a google search. And, voila! several libraries had a copy, including the Library of Congress. After inquiring at the Library of Congress, I was directed to my local library through which I would make an "inter-library" request.

I HAVE the book in my hand now. The Library of Congress did not send me an actual copy of the rag covered book published in 1916 but instead made me a photo copy of the book. Therefore, I can keep it!!!!! It does not have to be returned. I can let friends borrow it if they put up security of their first born. (just kidding)





As you can see from this picture, the book is quite thick - 265 pages.

I haven't begun to read it yet although I am very anxious to get started. I have another committment - a library book that I do need to return and I'm racing through it so I can start on UNCLE FRANK'S MARY, and savor every word.

Thank You, God, for photocopiers.............

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that is awesome. I am so glad you found it. If I were you I would keep checking Amazon, and also http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ (they have free worldwide shipping!) because you might find a cheap one someday.

    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I knew you could buy old books through some sites, but I didn't know you could get copies from the library of congress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am so glad you found the book. I had some wonderful grade school teachers also. One taught me how to knit at recess time. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of this book before, I must go and search for a copy in Australia! And how wonderful that you managed to get a photocopy which you can keep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- that's awesome that someone photo copied each page for you, and that you can keep it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a blessing! God is so good. Niki xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont have a "firstborn"......LOL...so glad you got what you were looking for. Enjoy♥♥♥
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW... that's a handy way tidbit! Who would think the library of congress would send a copy??! This is fabulous~ enjoy !

    ReplyDelete