Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas Traditions

One of the Christmas traditions that I share with almost everyone on the planet is the Christmas Tree. This year, mine was a bit unorthodox. I am in a position of getting familiar with a "new normal". I just was not excited about pulling out all sorts of decorations from their hiding places (for just me to enjoy) then having to put them all away again in a few weeks. But I still was up for Christmas. I wanted to get carried away with all the other traditions I was used to - like seeing the gingerbread houses made by locals at the Eastman House Museum, going to the craft sales, sacred presentations of the Christmas story, watching the old movies, etc., etc.

So you might say, my home was very sedately "Christmassy". My fireplace mantle has a snow people panorama. Many snow people standing on vintage lace "snow" in a tiny forest of evergreens under a big rusty star. Most of these snow people were hand made by me. I love this scene so much, I'm temped to leave it up all year.



For my unorthodox tree, I made cupcake papers trees that I saw on Craft Gossip. I did put my tiny presents under them. Fortunately, I did receive tiny presents (gift cards and earrings).



Another lovely tradition  is the Secret Santa that we have on the Christian Artist team on etsy (CAST). Those who want to participate fill out a questionaire about themselves, their wishes and dreams. A "director" pairs up the participants. I gifted a sister from the midwest and I received from a sister in the state right next door to my own state. But some sent and received gifts from the UK, from Australia, Canada and other hinder parts of the planet. And some from right next door. Amazingly, the gifts were perfect and such a blessing to both sender and receiver.

My gift arrived from a sister who's had some health problems recently and was also greatly affected by hurricane Sandy, therefore, unable to shop outside the home. I'm sure she has no idea how much her gift blessed me and how precious it is to me. She purchased from another CAST sister a pair of pearl earrings. I'm sure she didn't know my name means "pearl".




The formation of this gem involves a great amount of irritation and pressure happening inside that little mollusk before a beautiful pearl is formed. I love to think about heaven's gates being formed by this jewel and how our Savior always changes for good whatever He touches.

Here are the beautiful earrings I received from my Secret Santa (you know santa means holy).

One final tradition for the Christmas season in my neck of the woods is a White Christmas. Everyone was longing for it. We had spring like weather until just a couple weeks ago..............then, voila!!!




A Christmas Card sort of Christmas

8 comments:

  1. What a great post, Rita.
    And I did not know your name means pearl! Wow!.
    So nice to see the snow, just like a Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that is a white Christmas. I'm glad you are enjoying the earrings. I love seeing your decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful blog post!! I love the snow people on your mantle and the cupcake paper tree . . .adorable, the gifts from your secret santa . . . just lovely! I think my most favorite of all though is the Christmas snow. Just makes the season all the more magical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the snow people too -- very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your unorthodox trees! And yes, it was a beautiful white Christmas here in Upstate NY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the trees too!! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate your comment about the pearl. I just read Isaiah 66:9 and it makes me think of this. blessings and favor to you. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your decorations are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete