Translate

Monday, October 5, 2015

A House Tour This Weekend

This past Sunday I took myself on the Perinton Historical Society's 35th annual house tour. My town was founded in 1793 by Glover Perrin. The town has a rich history as, I'm sure, most small towns do.

This year the homes on the tour were all on the same street so you could just park your car and walk the tour. All the houses on this year's tour were built in the early 20th century.

Our Historical Society and Historical Museum are both completely volunteer staffed. This tour is one of several fund raising events that keeps this treasure up and running. I am happy to support it.


Each house had a chair or chairs outdoors so visitors could put "booties" over their shoes to protect the homeowners floors and carpeting. When visitors were finished using their "booties", they were deposited into the colorful shopping bags you'll see next to the outdoor chairs.


This apple tree, loaded with big, shiny apples was in the garden of one of the houses.
 
 
The tour afforded the tour-goers a peek at the first floor of each home. A docent was present at each one. They gave a little capsule of the history of each house.
 
 
 
This little house was, by far, my favorite. It's the Cape Cod style. Note the clematis growing over the garage door and the wisteria over the front entrance. This inside had a very Key West vibe, clean, white, open, airy. The homeowners vacation there and their northern home is a lovely reminder of their relaxing times in Key West.
 

There was a secluded spa in the backyard.
 
 
This weathered lattice created the seclusion of this home's garden. I couldn't resist taking pictures everywhere I could at this house. I would move in tomorrow if they would let me.
 
 
                       A small Autumn gourd vignette on a side porch of the same favorite house.



I think this home owner so honored the unknown visitors to their home on this bright sunny house tour day. This is a window box on the side of the house, just brimming with cabbages, gourds, and everlastings. I found it so enchanting. I think I would love to know these folks.

There were 7 houses on the tour and as you can see I was charmed by one in particular. I just used my phone cam to take the pictures. Sorry they are the best quality.

Hope you enjoyed seeing the tour with me.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Rita for a lovely tour. I, too, would like to move into their home or at least vacation there! :-) I love your pictures and your descriptions sounded very cozy and inviting.
    Blessings,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! And wonderful of you to support your historical society. That Cape Cod caught my eye right away when I saw the first photo of it. Wish I could see the inside -- I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A charming house! All the wisteria in my neck of the woods is in full bloom and looking marvellous.

    ReplyDelete