Translate

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Yummy Crepe Breakfast - Lunch - or Dessert

I had company for dinner a week or so ago and made homemade manicotti for the main course. For this recipe, you don't use the store bought manicotti pasta that's sold in a box. You make very light crepes - which I will include the recipe for - then fill them with the ricotta mixture, cover them with homemade sauce and bake for about an hour. But that is another dinner. Today, we'll be talking about the crepes. I had some left over from the manicotti project. And because of that,  I invented the recipe in the title.

I took a couple of the left over crepes, heated them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then slathered them with Nutella, layered sliced bananas and strawberries covering one half of the crepe. Folded over the crepe and drizzled chocolate sauce over the top.

I ate them just like this (the dessert format).  But for breakfast and/or lunch, you could spread a layer of yogurt over the Nutella before you layer on the fruit.

Crepe Recipe: Makes about 25
5 room temperature eggs - 1 cup of flour - 1 cup of lukewarm water. Mix ingredients together with a wire whisk in a 1 quart vessel.
Oil a small cast iron skillet or a small (8") teflon coated frying pan. Wipe the oil around the pan with a paper towel. Heat the pan on medium heat. My ancient recipe says to use a whiskey glass (1 oz.) to measure the batter into the pan  but you can use a ladle or spoon - remembering that you want a very small amount of batter in the pan because the crepe should be very thin. Quickly, twirl the pan to get the batter spread around on the bottom to make a round shaped crepe. It just takes a few minutes to cook side one. Turn crepe over to cook side two (this side takes even less time than side one.

As the crepes are finished, pile them one on top of the other on a plate. When you're finished making crepes, you can wrap the whole pile in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. They freeze well. Divide them up in serving sized batches to freeze.


8 comments:

  1. I will have to give that recipe a try one day. I had no idea there are five eggs in crepes!
    Usually i just put one or two in the pancake batter.
    I want to make crepes suzette one day ! Setting fire to things is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe!
    I spent a little time in Paris, and they have crepe stands/restaurants like we have burgers. Soooo good! Crepes are yummy with savory filling, too--ham and cheese is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love crepes...and now I'm suddenly starving for them. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I haven't had crepes in so long. You just reminded me how much I miss them. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crepes and haven't had them for a long time. I like that they can be frozen so you can make up a batch of them and then freeze some for another day. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're making me hungry! That looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man! I have one nutella lovin' little boy. Thanks for the new breakfast idea idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete