Translate

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

THE NAPLES GRAPE FESTIVAL

The Naples Grape Fest is an annual event that takes place in the village of Naples, NY in the Fall when the grape harvest of the Italy Valley pours out it's delicious scent throughout the whole valley. The area is filled with wineries. Of late, wine tasting tours have become very popular. But it’s the grape pies that have caught my fancy. You can purchase them right there at the festival or buy the grapes and make one yourself at home. They are very labor intensive, so I prefer to let some other tireless baker make mine.

During the Grape Festival, the town paints all the fire hydrants purple. In fact almost everything is purple.



The town is quaint, with lots of B & B’s and beautiful old homes all along the main street.




The town is situated at the south end of Canandaigua Lake, in a valley cut out by glaciers eons ago. Canandaigua is one of the Finger Lakes. The region has lots more going for it besides grapes. It offers some of the best ski areas in the northeast. It’s a great place to visit anytime of year. There is so much to see and do. Quaint towns, vintage houses, lots and lots of antiquing, Dicken’s Christmas Festivals, Kristkringle in the town of Canandaigua, great restaurants, lake life, cottage life, nature centers, horse racing…………….I could go on and on. Click on the link below for a travelogue of the Finger Lakes Region.


I went to the grape festival this year. I don’t think I’ll do it again on that particular weekend. So these pictures are a record that I braved it once. My next visit will be when there’s nothing in particular happening. Then I’ll be able to find a parking spot and leisurely walk around town, taking pictures and eating ice cream.







7 comments:

  1. That is really interesting. My mom's favorite color was purple, she would have loved going there. I'd never heard of grape pie--sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, the festival-goers get into the purple thing too. We saw one little gray haired lady dressed in purple from head to toe, including a purple purse.

      Delete
  2. The grape festival is too crazy to enjoy all Naples has to offer....we went a few weeks after it was over and the fire hydrants were still purple and there were still booths to buy pies and/or grapes. It was nice to find a parking spot anywhere and stroll around leisurely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those fall leaves! What a beauty! I don't see much of the seasons change here in Florida. Looks like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely! Especially those old houses :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I's favorite color is purple. The festival looks like so much fun! Parking can be a nightmare at many of these events.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like so much fun! Wish i lived closer. =)

    ReplyDelete