Translate

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Birthing of a Rose Garden

Once upon a time, we had a vegetable garden plot in our backyard. We enjoyed it immensely and so did the deer, rabbits and groundhogs. So we fenced it in and we still enjoyed it. It gave us lettuces, tomatoes, string beans, zucchini, basil, parsley, peppers, garlic and eggplants.
 
 
 
 




It's a lot of work keeping weeded and bug-free. And there's not enough people here anymore to eat all those veggies. We've moved the little herb garden to the patio steps and put a tomato plant in a kettle on the patio. Note that the whole tomato affair is swathed with netting otherwise the deer will get to the tomatoes before I do. And they like them green too.






Patio gardening is super convenient. Just steps away from the meal prep area. The deer have not bothered with the herb garden. I think they don't like all the smells (basil, rosemary, thyme).

The space where the vegetable garden lived happily for many years will now be a rose garden. I am in the process of preparing it. Putting more top soil mixed with compost over a thick layer of newspapers (a newspaper garden), laying out garden paths which will be a thick layer of the mulch our town provides for free after they've mulched up the town's fallen trees and tree limbs.


The garden measures 8 feet by 16 feet. I'm marking out a circle in the middle and then 4 paths coming out from the circle, like a cross. In the circle, I think there will be a beautiful birdbath which I don't have yet.

I'll keep you up to date on the rose garden's progress from time to time. I think it's going to give me lots of pleasure. I hope deer don't like to eat roses. I better "google" that.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting plan - look forward to the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see more pics of your progress. I love gardening I just wish my back did too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see pix! I'm afraid we have had a problem with dear eating our roses at our cabin.

    ReplyDelete