Translate

Monday, April 9, 2012

Not Your "Run of the Mill" Breakfast

On Easter Sunday morning, I woke up at 5 a.m., not for a sunrise Easter service but because I was in "caregiver" mode, staying with my niece who had, two days prior, heel surgery to repair a disconnected tendon, turned in foot, incorrect arch, etc. resulting from a 2011 car accident. She needed to take pain meds every 4 hours, including during the night, she needed her ice pack changed and fresh water to drink.

Her husband had emergency appendix surgery just 4 days before, therefore, we were interested in him recovering and getting some good rest and recuperation and leaving the care his little bride to the two aunties (my sister and myself). Try as we might to stand in for her own mamma (our sister), who now resides in glory with Jesus, we did the best we could to cherish and cared-for her like her Mama would.

She does continue to mend and heal day by day as does her hubby (our nephew in law). Is there such a term? I like to just think of him as my nephew.

At 5 a.m. on Easter morning, after I had attended to my niece, my heart told me - this family needs a special Easter breakfast. I didn't want to make something ordinary. But I wasn't at home where I keep all my recipes so I had to "wing it". I made a favorite family pancake, as well as I could remember without the directions.


FAMILY PANCAKE

2 cups of flour - 1 tsp. salt - 4 beaten eggs - about 2 cups of milk (remember I'm, "winging"). Enough of the egg and milk mixture to create a batter with the consistency of a thinnish pancake batter. (like gravy, honey, etc.)

What makes it special is: to cook in a large metal handled skillet 2-3 peeled and thinly sliced apples - 2 tbs. butter - 2 tsp. cinnamon - until apples are soft - add 2 tbs. brown sugar to apple mixture and keep cooking until sugar is melted. Pour the flour-egg-milk mixture over the apples and put the whole skillet into a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into pancake. If no uncooked batter is on the toothpick, it's done. Let it cool about 5 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar,then slice it in wedges, garnish with a sliced strawberry and serve with a nice hot cup of coffee.

Unbeknown to me, she took a picture of it for her facebook page........




When I make this at home near my recipe box - I make up the batter the night before and store it in the fridge in a glass 4 cup measure. I also cook the apples and store them in a plastic container. In the a.m., before guests are awake,I put the whole thing together in a PAM coated skillet, oven at 350 and bake the pancake along with little link breakfast sausages. I usually invert this one and sprinkle powdered sugar on top - then serve in wedges.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds so yummy!
    How sweet of you to be a surrogate mommy to your niece :) She is so lucky to have you for an aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh.....Yummy, Rita and so very, very beautimus of you to do this.
    You big heart, you...♥♥♥
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  3. You come up with so many delicious things...Sounds -and looks-delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Your neice and 'nephew' are very fortunate to have such loving and devoted aunts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful auntie you are!

    The Easter breakfast looks so yummy!

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a wonderful auntie: )) That Easter breakfast does sound delious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this a German dish? It sure looks yummy. You are such a sweet auntie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I know who to call when I need some loving care and a great breakfast! Can I adopt you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really yummy! Blessings Niki x

    ReplyDelete