Translate

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Visit To The Canal

When Sammy visits Grammy, we usually include a visit to the canal. I'm speaking of the Erie Canal, built in 1825 and opening up points west to economic development. The canal cut the cost of transportation by 95% and was a monumental feat of engineering with its locks to move the water through varying elevations. The canal brought goods and services from Albany NY to Buffalo NY, a distance of 363 miles. The barges were pulled by mules which walked along the canal banks pulling their precious cargo. None of this means a hill of beans to Sammy though. To her, it's a wonderful place to visit because there's an ice cream store that sells fresh homemade icecream................plus she gets to feed the ducks who make their home in the canal's waters. Grammy empties her cupboards of every half finished bag of crackers, pretzels, gold fish, stale bread, cereal, etc. and we set out for the canal. We usually run out of our own duck food and end up buying some from the shops along the canal. Sammy runs like a tornado along the banks, bag of "duck food" in hand, shouting to her sister, "c'mon Megan, there's a thousand pieces of duck". (This is the terminology Sammy uses to describe a huge amount of anything)
There are many points of interest along the canal which runs through several small towns in our locality, including our own town. There are restaurants whose tables overlook the canal, icecream shops which have tables and gazebos on the banks so you can lick and gaze at the peaceful waters. In my town, all along the downtown, our town has set up water and electricity connections so that touring water craft can hook up and spend a few days touring our town. Our Philharmonic Orchestra gives concerts there in the Summertime and there's also an annual duck race, but this time it's yellow rubber duckies. I'm at a loss to imagine how anyone gets those duckies to race.......but they do. To me, the Erie Canal remains a charming piece of local history. I love to visit along its banks...............and most especially with my precious girls ♥ ♥ ♥

9 comments:

  1. I've always romanticized the Erie Canal. It is great to hear it is a great place to visit and enjoy music and activities. Your pictures are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thousand pieces of duck. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, forgive me if I get this wrong, but...

    "You'll always know your neighboor, you'll always know you'll always know your pal... 15 miles on the Eerie Canal"...

    LOL, used to sing that as a kid!

    Cherish these times. My own memories will forever be full of all the fun things I did with my Grandma, Anna. She was a truly beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun -- How sweet that you are able to share these special times with your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can verify all of this post, as I live about 20 minutes from the canal mentioned here, and it also runs through my town. I love visiting the parts of it in Fairport and Pittsford....so pretty! Gotta get there soon with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the history, loved the photographs and especially loved "the thousand pieces of duck!" Great post and a great time spend with your favorite girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this looks like a great place to visit! My grands would love feeding the ducks too. :) I read a book series not long ago that was set on a canal. It was very interesting to read about how they moved the boats and the life of a canal-er.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I especially like the history behind the canal.

    ReplyDelete